Field Density, Specific Gravity & Relative Density
In-situ density of soil is an important parameter for soil engineers. This is needed for determination of bearing capacity of soils, stability analysis, natural slopes and for determining degree of compaction of fills.
Indian standards specify two different methods for in-situ density etermination ; core cutter method for fine grained soils free from aggregates and the sand replacement method for fine, medium and coarse grained soils having stones and pebbles etc.
The apparatus for sand replacement method as specified in ASTM D-1556 is also covered in our range of equipment.
Sand Pouring Cylinder (Small)
The apparatus is suitable for field density estimation of fine and medium grained soils, as per IS:2720 (Part XXVIII). It consists of:
- Sand Pouring Cylinder 115 mm internal dia with conical funnel and shutter.
- Calibrating Container, 100 mm inner dia and 150 mm deep with flange 50 mm wide.
- Metal tray 300mm square x 40 mm deep with a 100mm dia hole at the centre.
Sand Pouring Cylinder, (Large)
The apparatus is suitable for estimation of field density of fine, medium and coarsegrained soils, as per IS:2720 (part XXVIII) and consists of:-
- Sand Pouring Cylinder, 215 mm internal dia, with conical funnel and shutter.
- Calibrating container 200 mm inner dia x 250 mm high with 75 mm wide flange.
- Metal tray 450 mm square x 50 mm deep with a 200 mm dia hole at the centre.
Sand Density Cone conforming to ASTM D-1556
Used for the determination of in-situ density of soils containing particles not greater than 2 inch in diameter. The equipment consists of a brass cone provided with flange at the bottom and a valve at the top. It is provided with another cone at the top of the valve with arrangement to attach a standard plastic sand jug. Supplied complete with a density plate and one sand jug with an adopter for attaching the standard plastic sand jug.