Grain Size Analysis
The grain size distribution of soil fraction passing through 75 micron IS sieve can be carried out as per IS:2720 (Part-IV) by pipette method or by hydrometer method.
Grain Size Distribution Apparatus (Pipette Method)
Test is performed as per IS:2720 (Part-IV) The apparatus comprises of:-
- Pipette stand with moving carriage assembly fitted with a scale and holder for holding the pipette in position.
- Sampling pipette 10 ml capacity fitted with a three way stop cock.
- Sedimentation tube, 50mm dia and approximately 350 mm long with mark at 500 ml volume.
High Speed Stirrer
The test is performed as per IS:2720 (Part-IV). The unit comprises of :-
- A mechanical stirring device, fitted with a motor which rotates a vertical haft having a stirring pedal at a speed of 8000 to 10,000 R.P.M.
- Dispersion cup made of brass.
- Baffle for use with dispersion cup.
Sand Equivalent Test Apparatus
The apparatus is used to determine the relative proportion of fine dust or clay like material in soils or fine aggregates either in the laboratory or in the field. It is performed as per IS:2720 (Part-37). The apparatus consists of the following:-
- Measuring cylinder of transparent acrylic, graduated up to 380mm, complete with a rubber stopper.
- One irrigator tube of stainless steel.
- Siphon Assembly (without glass bottle) consisting of a rubber stopper with a long, bent copper tube, an air intake tube and rubber tube to connect to the irrigttube, complete with a pinch clip.
- Weighted foot assembly for sand level.